And the #1 One Hit Wonder of the ’90s is (drumroll please!!)…….
1. The Divinyls - I Touch Myself — Story goes, the singer and her husband/fellow bandmate were in a restuarant and noticed the person in the next booth was eavesdropping, when she noticed she started loudly talking dirty to her husband so the other person would hear. One of the things she said was, “When I think about you, I touch myself”. And thus a song was born :)
2. Proclaimers - I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles) — This song from a pair of Irish twins was actually released in ‘88 but didn’t chart in the US until 5 years later, when it appeared on the Benny & Joon soundtrack. Other than my mom’s family about 250 years ago, this is one of my favorite Irish imports :)
5. Queensryche - Silent Lucidity — It kinda pains me to post this one, ‘cause I definitely don’t think one hit wonder when I think Queensryche. This whole album was great, and the one before, Operation: Mindcrime, is right alongside Tommy and The Wall when it comes to concept albums IMO! Geoff Tate has an AMAZING voice!!
6. Green Jelly - Three Little Pigs — Love, love, LOVE this song and video!!! One of the funnest tunes of the decade. And you’ll notice from the on screen titles this was the version before Jello sued ‘em and made ‘em change their name lol!
7. Faith No More - Epic — I’m still in shock this is Faith No More’s only hit, damn awesome band!!! Mike Patton was an great singer, and Jim Martin was ditto on the guitar, and what a sweet look he was rockin’ :)
11. Edwyn Collins - A Girl Like You — Today’s 90s one hit wonder was featured in one of my favorite movies of the decade, Empire Records. I almost renamed my video store Empire Video because of that flick, should’ve done it.
12. 4 Non Blondes - What’s Up? — Good song, but I think what hurt 4 Non Blondes and made ‘em a one hit wonder instead of a band with staying power, they weren’t really sure what they wanted to be. They had a bit of the hippie groove going on, along with trying to do the grunge thing, and never really made it all click. Oh well, they gave us one cool tune :)